Invitation – seminar on understanding and assessing social-ecological resilience in the field – 15/12/2023, Brussels
On Friday 15 December 2023, we invite you to our second Belgian seminar on social-ecological resilience (SER). The first seminar (2/12/2022) gave an introduction on SER and facilitated interesting exchanges between participants on how this relates to their work. This second seminar will focus on how we can understand and assess SER in the field. Indeed, SER is a broad, holistic and thus complex concept. It has been translated by SECORES in 4 strategic goals (*).
To forge a better understanding of (the added value of) a SER approach, a first SECORES 4-pager has been developed. Moreover, SECORES started an exciting learning trajectory on assessing SER. We know that he daily work and methods of many organizations are related to (parts of) SER. So, we believe that your input and insights will enrich the work already done towards better understanding SER in international cooperation.
The seminar will start with an overview of what we’ve done on this topic in 2023 (desk study on existing methods, master thesis in Burundi and experiences of SECORES members in the field). It will open the debate with all participants on already existing methodologies, their application and how to improve them. This debate will be completed with presentations of other ongoing experiences on understanding and assessing SER and discussions in small working groups.
We would like to invite everybody who would like to learn and exchange on understanding and assessing SER, not only people working on project design and monitoring, but everyone working on strategies and thematic methodologies. We also welcome researchers and relevant private sector. However, this seminar is not targeting bachelor or master students.
We believe in real face-to-face exchange to learn from each other. Online participation to the plenary sessions will be possible, but limited to colleagues and partner organizations abroad.
- When: Friday 15 December 2023 from 9:30 to 16:30 (coffee & registration from 8:30 onwards). A vegetarian lunch is foreseen.
- Morning: overview of work by SECORES on assessing social-ecological resilience
- Afternoon: working groups on already existing methodologies, their application and how to improve them, based on experiences of all participants
- Language: English; no simultaneous translation is foreseen. However, if you feel more comfortable to ask questions in French or Dutch, this is possible and translation will be done by the organization team.
- Where: Mundo Madou, Avenue des Arts 7-8, 1210 Brussels
- How: please register here!
(*) The four complementary axes, described as strategic goals in our Joint Strategic Framework are:
- Improved rights, policies, and governance of ecosystems and natural resources
- Improved awareness, knowledge, skills about sustainable ecosystems
- Strengthened sustainable access to, management and use of ecosystem services
- Ecosystems are conserved or restored for optimal functioning
See ‘News’ for an overview of past activities, both organized by SECORES or external events in which SECORES participated.